Welcoming Fall season, without worries!
Gutter cleaning should be at the top of your to-do list. Falling leaves, twigs and other debris can clog gutters and downpipes. This can lead to ice dams when winter snows and freezing temperatures occur, and then cause damages to the roof and possibly bring water into your house. Clogged gutters can also cause water damages in your basement.
Be sure to wait until all leaves have fallen, because if you clean them too early on, it’s possible that the gutters will become clogged again before winter.
While gutter cleaning seems to be a project that any homeowners can tackle, be warned that without a good scale, this task can be very dangerous. This is a job best left to professionals such as Modern Eavestroughing.
You need to also wash your gutter system and seal the bridges at the same time, making sure there are no sheets stuck on it. This will prevent the formation of mold and algae.
Autumn is clearly perfect for cutting down trees that touch your property to avoid potential damage from storms and to get rid of pests. Tree branches make an excellent entry for squirrels in your attic.
Finally, we all agree that autumn is the ideal time to check your gutters, so here are some tips that our experts at Modern Eavestroughing wanted to share with you:
– Start at the base of your gutters: open the gutter drain tube to remove debris before rinsing thoroughly with water (the water pressure must be reasonable: the gutters are not designed to be cleaned with high pressure hoses)
– Remove dead leaves and any other debris that have accumulated in the top of the gutters. Rinse thoroughly with water
– Check the water flows in your gutters. If it doesn’t flow easily, check the slope of your gutters and make the necessary repairs
– Block the drain tube of your gutters to locate any leaks
– Make sure the water is directed away from your home
Remember that when you make repairs at home, you must work safely! Let the professionals accompany you in this kind of project, less risky and surely more effective!